Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Road

Charcoal on paper - image size 10.5 x 7.5

This 30 minute value study for a larger work turned into a multi-day project. My inspiration was a return to a road that I had painted earlier. This particular stretch or road undulates over the hill and then makes a sharp left beyond the abandoned farm place at the top of the hill. The winter shadows were long and dramatic, but the light was still bright. There was some light snow in the bottoms, yet the colors in the fields were still warm and brilliant.

I still plan to do a larger work, so I've left the reference marks in the margins. I will eventually mat and frame this one!

This scene and this day were especially poignant for me because I had my father with me who is in ill health. One never knows when we will return to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...