Oil on RayMar - 8x6
This panel was painted from sketches and earlier paintings of the view of the Gulf from the dunes at Cape San Blas State Park.
Here is my evaluation, and I welcome critiques.
- Sky - OK, I like the hint of yellow in the clouds and the use of ult blue with a hint of cobalt blue.
- Gulf -OK, but it could be a little more to the green side of blue. I used a #6 synthetic bristle to do the waves.
- Dunes - sand is too brown. It needs to be more gray/blue with more blue in the shadows. These dunes are almost as white as snow.
- Dune on the left - too dark and too loosely executed.
- Dune in the foreground - much to much, it's too busy, and ill defined. The bushes are too con color.
- Sea oats - I like a few points that came from the use of a palette knife. Still the color is too same across the picture and too yellow.
- Overall design - the painting is too busy to see if the design works.
- My wife, Patty, suggested that the dune on the left is too tall and seems to dominate the design. It could be shortened to the horizon line or just above.
- Value / Contrast - the values are too close with not enough contrast.