Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter Road - WIP


Detail of Work In Progress...

The problem here is that I'm dealing with a lapse of time - several days. I've been away from "December Road" for a week, and the inspiration and concept have grown cold. There are two big problems I need to address:

  1. After the interruption, I see some problems in the areas I had done earlier, but I must avoid the temptation to go back and rework them. They were part of an earlier idea that I don't want to lose.
  2. I find myself wanting to pull new colors into the unworked areas in an effort to transition to new ideas to add interest. The difficulty is to keep continuity throughout. That continuity is difficult because I tend to lose the "inspiration" over the week I've been away.

Time to go slowly, or I will destroy the piece altogether.

I think that after blocking in some of the areas (as was suggested by Carly Hardy) so that the color was consistent, I found it easier to remain faithful to my vision. Also blocked in the road to establish the "cool" contrast to the warm fields. I had to keep reminding myself to stay away from sharp detail and concentrate on forms.

The frost and remains of snow were a touch I want to add, but I'm having a problem getting the shading and shadows right. Snow on the open ground lower left may be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...