Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Standing Guard"



Pastel on sanded Gatorfoam, 11x14

To purchase, click here

This solitary palm tree seems to stand guard over an old path through the dunes at Ponte Vedra.  Boardwalks have been built for dune access, and the old paths are "off limits."  It's as if this palm tree stands watch to keep beach-goers off his path.

This painting was done on gessoed and sanded gatorfoam.  I neglected to sand the gesso before I added the pumice sand gel coat.  This made the surface rougher that I expected, and I almost threw the piece out.  I kept going anyway, and I really like the effect of the undercoat showing through - especially in the sky.

We have an older pastel that I did a year or two ago that has this same motif and design.  Patty wanted me to do another one with brighter colors - so here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...