Monday, August 22, 2011

"Over the Dune"



Pastel on sanded gatorboard - 14x11

SOLD

The sugar white sand of the Gulf beaches and the spectacular green of the sea oats have always captured my attention.  This view of the Gulf is from the top of the dunes at Cape San Blas state park.  I have drawn and photographed this particular view a number of times, and I have done other painting from this position looking in the other direction.  I don't know why I've never painted this view before.

The gatorboard was given two coats of acrylic gesso, then two coats of pumice gel with acrylic burnt sienna.  The surface has enough texture that the undercoat show through in places.  That "peeking through" lends warmth and contrast to the greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...