Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter Rain


Oil on linen 10x8

May be a work in progress

I had planned to take my French easel out today, but it rained all day. I have long been intrigued by the corner of my landscaping with a statue of a little girl feeding some ducks. It is overgrown and waiting for spring cleaning, clearing, and trimming.

The view I selected is from the front porch across the driveway. Everything is wet, and gray, and golden brown. The shadows are deep, but the values are muted by the rain and overcast sky.

This painting may need to be touched up or elaborated later. The wind came up and started splattering rain onto the easel and the painting. I discovered that when water gets on the oil, painting over pulls up the original layer of paint. That could make for some interesting effects, but it's not a good surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...