Thursday, February 24, 2011

Last of Winter


Oil on canvas panel - 12x9
En plein air
Sold
I captured this scene across the Intercoastal Waterway. It was early morning with the tide way out when I started, and I finished just at lunch time and the tide was almost high. That's one of the difficulties of painting water.

I did the sky and water first because I knew thy would be the first to change. Then I blocked in the shadows for the deepest values. Next I blocked in the broad shapes and masses of color. Then I finished with details and edges.

I had to work quickly because the sand gnats have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...