Monday, January 25, 2010

"Marsh View II"


Oil on linen mounted on archival hardboard - 10x8
Completed 1/25/2010

Painting has been sold.

This is an interpretation of the view from JTB across the tide marsh toward the San Pablo River and the Intercoastal Waterway. I have purposely intensified the colors and arranged the composition to emphasize the contrasts and harmonies that make this view so special to me.

I used only primary colors (blue, yellow, and red) with white in this painting. All the greens are mixed from cobalt and ultramarine blue with cadmium yellow medium and light. I mixed alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue to make a deep, deep purple which I then used to tone most of the greens and to create the warm browns and grays of this painting.

Rick Petersen

1 comment:

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...