Friday, January 22, 2010

"Galas on Purple"


Oil on canvas panel - 8 x 8

Completed 1/1/2010


This is my first "satisfactory" work as a daily painting.


These gala apples were painted initially with a light beige/lavender background to approximate the original set-up. After the apples were completed, the background was darkened with lavender to accentuate the red and yellow of the apples.


The painting was completed with a minimal pallet of cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow medium, alizarin crimson, permanent green, and white. Dioxin purple and cobalt blue were sued for the background and accents.


I am pleased with the result. Earlier in the afternoon, I almost gave up on this painting - I did not like the lighter background. When I darkened it, I reworked the apples to complete the painting.


Rick Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...