Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Pastel Abstract #1

Pastel Abstract #1

Pastel 9x9 on LuxArchival sanded paper

After a month of doing small abstracts in gouache and ink, I felt ready to move up in size and into pastel.  Pastel handles a little differently from gouache, so I had to accommodate some of those differences in order to get the result I was looking for.  Design and composition principles still apply.  What I wanted to achieve in this painting was a nearly equal division between two opposite colors - yellow and purple or blue and and orange while keeping the composition interesting and lively.  I wanted the area of interest to be in the lower left and to let the evolution of color and value determine what that interest would be.  Even more apparent to me in pastel is that every stroke determines the next within the context of achieving my goal.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...