Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Abstract #17

Abstract #17

Gouache and Ink, 4x4 on Paper

When I started this series of abstract paintings in gouache, I had initially thrown my first painting aside.  After taking another look I added some pen-work to the painting, and it came alive.  So I had to renumber my series, and in doing so, I realized that the original #3, this painting, needed the same kind of revision.  That allowed me to renumber the "old #3" as the "new #17."

The original concept here was to use blue and its complement orange to create composition around the colors yellow, red, and purple. The later addition of more lines and separation keeps the composition from becoming lost in its own complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...