Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Timed Study 3 - Two Silos

Timed Study 3 - Two Silos, pastel 6x9

This is my third timed study - 22 minutes with 16 pastels + 1 pastel pencil.  I did this study on UArt 400.

This is another study from the same subject I used before.  I changed the design a little but kept the same concept from some drawings and photos I brought back from my last trip to Iowa. This is the "concept" area with drawings, photos, and the previous painting.



The concept and motive for this study is the pair of old silos that stand unused beside the steal and aluminum grain bins. This is a "between times" in Iowa; some of the fields are still too green to harvest, but other fields are already bare.

Here is the palette of pastels I used for this painting. This selection forced me to make choices based on value and temperature rather than expected hue.





With those colors in mind, I did a drawing on the paper with vine charcoal to test the concept and correct anything that seemed to need more work.  Once I was satisfied, I removed most of the charcoal with a kneeded eraser.


With the preparations finished, I set my timer to 22 minutes, and set to work.  I like the result of this study much better than the previous one, and I may dress it up a little and sign it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...