Monday, April 4, 2016

Heading Out Again

Pastel on Multimedia Board, 9x12

When the tide comes in, the sea gulls take wing and head out past the breakers.  The surf is high, and the waves tumble over each other as they break.  The water turns green with the foam from the waves, and the sunlight paints the churning water with the delicate shades of blue, pink, and purple. 

My process with this painting was to paint the water first.  A similar painting had recently sold from Georgia Nick Gallery, and I used that painting as a starting point for this one.  

Check values with Black and White

When I had gotten a good start on the waves, I took a photo and printed it in black and white.  Doing that showed me that the bottom line of the main wave needed some variation and the foreground was a distraction.



Finalize the waves and water

After making those changes, I was satisfied with the water and wave.




Draw the gulls on a black and white print

In order to get the proportions of the gulls and their placement, I printed a copy of the painting in black and white.  This also gave me a final check on the values.


When adding the final touches to a painting like this, I try to make my final decisions on a copy of the painting.  I drew and erased the birds for quite some time until I was satisfied.  The result is displayed above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...