Friday, July 6, 2012

"Sunlight Center Stage"


Pastel on sanded Arches - 21x14

When I matted and framed this piece, I realized that the design of the foreground did not draw the eye of the viewer into the focal point, the sunlight in the center middle ground.  I revised this painting for a third time - changing the foreground to remove the branch to the right. I am much more pleased with this design and its effect.

I wanted to convey the warmth of the summer in the marsh, but I also wanted to capture the fleeting light and shadows as the ray of sunlight light fell on the cord grass and spartina. In order to make that statement, I moved from my earlier green green pallet for the spartina to a more autumn pallet to add yellows and browns to the grass. The light falling in the center makes the broad scene more accessible and much more dramatic.

As I worked on this painting through its several revisions and through the change in camera, my goal has been to present this scene to convey my praise the the Lord, the Creator.  On the back of this painting I have written the words, "to the praise of His glory."  I want this to be the theme of what I do.



This is the first revision of the painting I posted in June.  I redid the foreground on this piece from what I published late last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...