Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Sense of Passing"


Pastel on sanded gatorboard, 14x10

To purchase, click here
This painting was done from photos, drawings, and notes I made in the woods near Pablo Bay.  There are survey stakes all through the woods and new access roads being cut.  I wanted to get as much information and painting done here as possible - the woods may soon be a construction zone.

The day was overcast with few and infrequent breaks in sunlight.  The colors of winter dominated the scenes, but the gray overcast kept them muted and somber.

Everything seemed to be passing - the sun, the day, the weather, and soon the woods themselves.

I did make another confirmation as I worked on this piece.  I do not have to "explain" everything in the picture. The suggestion made with color and value does not need to be an explicit shape. I know this is true, but I still struggle with minimizing details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...