Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Gap in the Dunes"



Pastel on sanded Gatorfoam - 14x11

SOLD

This view of the dunes at Talbot Island State Park lead away from the beach into the "wilderness."  The gap between these two dunes gives the hint of a path that I've never had the opportunity to follow.  At the end of the day, the sea breeze has died, the light is low and beginning to fade, and an unusual calm settles over the dunes.

This is a painting on self-sanded gator foam over a burnt sienna undercoat.  I used dark NewPastels for the deeper values and set them in place with denatured alcohol.  I've found that plan works best for me and preserves the accents and drama I am looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Love the painting....
    Just a note... I think you forgot the link for the purchase page.

    ReplyDelete

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...