Sunday, September 4, 2011

"After the Storm"

Two painting from 2009 that I need to put up on my blog.


 

“After the Storm, a Study in Waves”

Pastel on sanded Arches watercolor paper, 9 ¼ x 13 ¾
 

Completed, 8/11/2009

To purchase, contact me


In May of 2009, Jacksonville Beach was hit with an unusually intense storm.  After the storm had passes, I made a few sketches and took several reference photographs of the waves.  I wanted to do a large work on a full sheet of Arches paper, but I had not done anything of this nature and size before.  As preparation, I did this preliminary study to become familiar with sanded watercolor paper and the various shades of gray, blue, green, lavender, and yellow that would bring life to the painting.
 
I was so pleased with the result that I believe it should stand on its own merits.




"After the Storm, Jacksonville Beach"
Pastel on sanded Arches watercolor paper

Size - 29 x 21 1/2

Completed 9-8-2009

To purchase, contact me
When I had done a preliminary pastel paining, "After the Storm - a Study in Waves" which pleased me very much, I rendered this work on a full sheet of Arches paper.
This scene intrigues me because of the complex directions and patterns of the waves, the subtlety of the veiled sunlight on the stormy water, and the churned sand near the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...