Thursday, November 25, 2010

Spring Road

Pastel on UArt - 27x21

This is a view of a road east of Harlan, Iowa, looking to the west. I made some sketches of this scene and took reference photos in the spring of 2009. I have finally gotten around to painting it.

My first attraction was to the trees on the left, but as I worked on the design, I found much more interest in the road as it disappeared over the hill. The trees were just beginning to show the first flush of true, fresh green. The clouds were broken, and the south wind was whipping them away.
Photo taken of signed and completed work on 11/26/2010 under natural light without modification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...