Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Beachcombers


Pastel on UArt - 12x9

To purchase, contact me

This is a representation of a scene I observed last week at the beach that held a sense of drama and contrast. The waves were rough especially near shore, but at low tide, they had left the beach wide and flat. A young man was combing the beach with a metal detector while a small flock of sandpipers worked the sand near him. They were all beachcombers - one with high tech for what someone else has lost and the birds for food that God provides. There must be a moral here, but that's not my point.

This painting is my first effort on UArt paper. I wanted to experiment with smooth sanded surfaces. The work was done freely and quickly without concentrating on specific details. I used Rembrandt pastels because they seemed to respond better to the sanded texture.
I replaced the photo of the painting this morning - October 14 - after making a few adjustments to the main figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...