Thursday, August 19, 2010

Remember that Morning


Oil on canvas - 24x18

To purchase this painting, click here.

This is my second expression in oil of this view of the palm thickets and dunes at Cape San Blas, Florida. I have tried to capture the stillness and bright sunshine of mid morning. The view is looking from the boardwalk across the dunes to the Gulf.
The beach and dunes always interest me and present a particular challenge for painting. The foreground is defined in bright color and deep value contrasts while the distance is muted and soft with little variation in value. The bright sunlight, however, limits the amount of blue that works for creating distance in the painting.

My son my, father-in-law, and I have been here often to fish in the gulf, so this place has a special memories for me.

Rick Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...