Thursday, March 16, 2023

Pet Portrait Information

"Jake" pastel portrait
"Fiona" - Ink and Watercolor Portrait


Fiona - Example of ink and watercolor wash

I have received a number of inquiries about painting pet portraits, so for any who would like to have a portrait of your pet, here are some guidelines to consider.

1.   I will be painting from photographs, naturally, so here are the photos that work best for me:

  • photos taken at "eye level" looking at the subject.
  • photos should be taken from a reasonable distance from the subject - not really close up - so the proportions and perspective are not distorted
  • multiple photos from various angles that show the color, patterns, size, fur texture, and "liveliness" of the subject
  • photos taken in the pets favorite "haunts" are also special
  • photos in different, normal lighting - flash photos are not much help
2.  I paint mostly in pastels and ink-and-wash watercolors.  My prices vary based on the size of the work, the media, and  amount of time and effort involved to produce the painting.  

3.  Before I can begin, we will need to agree on the subject, the photo material needed, the painting size, the painting media, the price, and delivery schedule.

As a rough guide, my prices range from $175 for a 5x7 ink-and-wash watercolor to $750 for a 12x12 pastel.  Prices may increase because with the complexity of the subject requested.  

Of course, I can do larger paintings, and we can talk about price if you are interested.

If you have any questions, please contact me or reply in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning in the Dunes

Morning in the Dunes Acrylic on canvas panel 8x10 Behind the beach at Talbot Island, the dunes march away one behind the other.  No clear pa...