Thursday, March 16, 2023

Pet Portrait Information

"Jake" pastel portrait
"Fiona" - Ink and Watercolor Portrait


Fiona - Example of ink and watercolor wash

I have received a number of inquiries about painting pet portraits, so for any who would like to have a portrait of your pet, here are some guidelines to consider.

1.   I will be painting from photographs, naturally, so here are the photos that work best for me:

  • photos taken at "eye level" looking at the subject.
  • photos should be taken from a reasonable distance from the subject - not really close up - so the proportions and perspective are not distorted
  • multiple photos from various angles that show the color, patterns, size, fur texture, and "liveliness" of the subject
  • photos taken in the pets favorite "haunts" are also special
  • photos in different, normal lighting - flash photos are not much help
2.  I paint mostly in pastels and ink-and-wash watercolors.  My prices vary based on the size of the work, the media, and  amount of time and effort involved to produce the painting.  

3.  Before I can begin, we will need to agree on the subject, the photo material needed, the painting size, the painting media, the price, and delivery schedule.

As a rough guide, my prices range from $175 for a 5x7 ink-and-wash watercolor to $750 for a 12x12 pastel.  Prices may increase because with the complexity of the subject requested.  

Of course, I can do larger paintings, and we can talk about price if you are interested.

If you have any questions, please contact me or reply in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...