Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Putting Down

Putting Down

I have been going through boxes of  paintings that needed something, and I found this one.  I have retouched the color and values, made the image more crisp, and refined the context.  The "new" painting accomplishes all that I wanted to gain originally.  

The following is my original description for painting this seagull.

"On rainy days, I go through my old paintings, reference photos, and drawings looking for things that interest me.  For some reason, I often find myself drawn to sea gulls.  I admire their freedom and exuberance. 

"This particular gull is actually from a photo of a large flock, but his form and sense of presence attracted my attention.  I pulled him out for this study and first called it "All Alone" which is a little ironic because gulls are rarely alone.  "Putting Down" is more descriptive."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dune Passage in Summer

Watercolor and Ink on paper, 5x7 This is a variation of an old passage through the dunes.  In the midday summer sun, the light is bright but...