Monday, September 12, 2016

Late Summer Estuary

Pastel, 6x9 on UArt

In this view of the salt marsh estuary, I have used a familiar scene and changed the composition and elements to create a different mood and scene.  This began with a couple of pencil sketches from which I developed this color/value study.  
In the late summer, the salt marsh is almost blindingly green. I need to mute some of that green, but I find that using the complement of green, red, to reduce the "greenishness" of the marsh is too harsh.  In this study, I have toned down the green by using its near complements, orange and purple. 
To purchase this painting, please click on this link - Late Summer Estuary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...