Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Intradune Marsh, Anastasia Island

Pastel 9x12 on Wallis

I chose this view because of the contrast in linearity between the oaks and cedar in the foreground that show their bulk and roundness, the intradune marsh with is generally flat and horizontal, and the dunes in the distance which offered the horizontal with variations.  From where I had to stand, there was a large sign blocking more than half of the left side of the scene, so I had to walk a few steps forward to be able to see the image I was trying to paint.  I widened the path and removed some of the shrubs to give a view of the marsh and dunes.
This painting was originally done as part of a workshop with Kathleen Galligan.  The painting has been put away in a box for three years.  I got it out of storage last week, and today I retouched and adjusted the colors and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...