Thursday, May 21, 2015

UArt Surface Test

I received notification of the UArt Online Competition, and in order to enter, I needed something done on UArt Sanded Pastel Paper.  I nave a number of different grit grades, but I wanted to understand the comparative properties, so I did a test.  
I set up four (4) 6x9 sheets of paper on a board, and worked a simple still life with the same image on each sheet.  On the top left is 240 grit, top right 320 grit, bottom left 400 grit, and bottom right 600 grit.

I started with a Vine Charcoal Outline.
 

 I usually start with the outline, work and rework it until I'm satisfied, and then take most of it out with a kneaded eraser.  All 4 grits worked well and left a faint outline for the color.

Next I added some color using hard and semi-hard pastels.  I wanted to compare coverage between the papers. 





Next I added softer pastels to see the blending characteristics.



The next step in this test for me was the addition of contrasting colors, purple and blue, and shading to see how it reacted with the different papers.


I then added some contrasts, turquoise and blue, for the background to see how they would react across the different textures.



My reactions and decisions:

1. The 400 and 600 grits work best for me in the style to which I have become accustomed.

2.  In the 400 and 600, edges were easier for me to create and disguise.

3.  Blending of colors is easier and more predictable in the 400 and 600. The coarser grits do not blend in the same way for the effects I try to achieve, but they do take the pastel and hold it well.

4.  Erasing the pastel is more difficult the in the more coarse papers.

5.  All of the papers have a distinct linear texture running across the paper surface.  With more pastel it covers well, but with light touches, the texture is visible.  I do not find this objectionable, but it is something I need to keep in mind as I am working.

I may try to work the 600 grit into a final picture, but the others will go in the box as "experimental."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...