Monday, June 18, 2012

"Mayo Marsh" - Work In Progress

Pastel on sanded Arches - 21x14.5

I completely wiped out the bottom 2/3 of the picture and started over.  Actually, I came really close to putting this one aside and starting something new, but there were parts of this and the vision I wanted to present that drew me back.  Here is the revised design and plan.  We will see where this leads.  It's still to cool in temp and "green" in hue.



Not much time to work today - I've had better days....
Added more color and definition.  Added trees as the center of interest.  My vision is to have the foreground in shadow from clouds with sunlight on the center middle distance.
At this stage, it looks a little ThomasHartBenton-esque.



Added the basic color for the marsh grasses using mostly NuPastels and Rembrandts. The harder pastels seem to cover and blend well at this stage of painting. I'm thinking of a title - "Pink and Green"... not!

Added deep purple for the basic shapes of the darkest values and blocked them in with denatured alcohol. The sky is roughed in with NuPastels and a few Rembrandts - yellows, ultramarine, and lavender

Initial sketch - orange pastel outline, sprayed with fixative.
Started a larger painting, and I'll document the work as it progresses. I'm falling in love all over again with NuPastels.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Path in the Pines

Pastel 12x16 on LuxArchival 100 This view of an old path through the pine woods has held my attention for years.  The woods are now a housin...